£19.99

Author:   Alan Dean

Published:   2010
Edition:   Paperback
Pages:   196
Condition:   New
Genre:   Narrow Gauge, Light & Industrial

Status:   In Stock

Synopsis

The Annals of the West Cannock Colliery Company Limited 1869-1957 by Alan Dean.

The first records of mining in the area date from 1298. Nearly six hundred years later the Brereton Colliery Company, Cannock and Rugeley Colliery Company and the Cannock Chase Colliery Company were formed, with railways being built to connect their collieries to the main rail network.

In 1869 the West Cannock Colliery Company was formed and began work at Pye Green Valley, having leased land with the minerals below from the Marquis of Anglesey. Further new shafts were sunk in 1914. Mergers between some of the Cannock Chase collieries were considered in the 1920s and early 1930s but the Company survived independently and its assets were transferred to the National Coal Board on nationalisation in 1946. Coal mining ceased in the area after more than 700 years with the closing of the Littleton Colliery in 1993.

This comprehensive book provides details on the West Cannock Colliery Company Ltd including information on the colliery railways and the Tackeroo Express. Includes two hundred images.

Chapters

Establishment of the Company
The Sinkings
Full Production
Enlargement and Pre-nationalisation
Post Nationalisation