Author: R.J. Sellick
Published: 2012, 3rd edition
Format: Paperback, 65 pages
Status: In Stock
An independent and sometimes eccentric line, which connected the local port of Watchet with long abandoned mines and deserted villages more than 1000 feet high on the Brendon Hills, the West Somerset Mineral Railway enjoys a place in West Somerset folklore. It is unrivalled by any closed branch line. Rarely accorded its full title, it is invariably referred to with nostalgic affection as the ‘old mineral line’.
In this collection of historic photographs and expert commentary, R.J. Sellick traces the story of the Mineral Railway from its beginnings in 1856, through its fitful decline, to the end of the company in 1925.