£9.95
Arthur & Elisabeth Jordan

Publication Date:   1996
Format & Edition:   Paperback, First Edition
Pagination:   80 Pages, 39 Illustrations
Condition:   New

Genre:   Midland Railway

Status:   In Stock


Stamford All Change by Arthur and Elisabeth Jordan. This first train from Stamford on 2nd October 1846 carried passengers to Peterborough Fair. The Syston and Peterborough branch of the Midland Railway was not yet open throughout so trains used a temporary station in Water Street. Another twenty months elapsed before the line was completed and the station which is still in use was opened.

This book tells the story of the promotion of this railway; the many obstacles, both material and human, which were encountered; and of the men who constructed it – the navvies.

The coming of the railway led to many changes affecting Stamford’s economy and its people and these are also dealt with in this well-researched book.


Before the Railway
The Syston and Peterborough Line
Trains at Last
Rails under St Martin’s
Handsome New Station
The Missing Link is Forged
Opened Throughout
Coal, Corn and Fish
The Navvies
Other Railways to Stamford