Author: Glyn Williams
Format: Hardback, 282 pages
Status: In Stock
The 2ft gauge Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway was built to convey produce from Llanfair and the surrounding countryside to Welshpool, which was the centre of a large agricultural area with buyers attending from around the country. Opening in 1903 for both passengers and goods traffic the line fulfilled its purpose. In 1914 the railway came under Government control until 1921 when it was taken over by the Great Western Railway.
The introduction of motor buses in the 1920s led to the withdrawal of passenger services in 1931, but the line continued to be used for goods traffic until 1956 when eventually the line closed. Fortunately the line was eventually rescued by a preservation company. However this book is focused on the pre-1956 era and records the old line, including the long lost town section. The book features many photographs.